If you're visiting Affton, this is the place to plan your stay.
AFFTON COMMUNITY DAYS PARADE & FESTIVAL is a community event for all ages! It is kicked off by the biggest parade in unincorporated St. Louis County and followed by a festival of food, games, rides, and live entertainment for everyone. See more detailed information on the Affton Community Days page.
ULYSSES S. GRANT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE, formerly known as White Haven, was established in 1990 to preserve and interpret the core of the farm owned by Civil War General and 18th President Ulysses S. Grant and his wife, Julia Dent Grant. The site is open daily (closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s days) from 9 am to 5 pm. Interpretive tours by rangers and self-guided tours available; daily tours of main house. Special programs are offered occasionally, call the Visitor Center at (314) 842-3298 or visit www.nps.gov/ulsg for further information.
OAKLAND HOUSE is the restored 1853 limestone mansion designed by the well-known architect George I. Barnett for one of Saint Louis’ early bankers, Louis A. Benoist. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, Oakland House, the 1853 Benoist mansion at 7801 Genesta, Affton, opens its doors to visitors April thru September, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the third Sunday. Oakland House, operated by the Affton Historical Society, is available for private and business parties, weddings, and luncheons. For further information or for information on specific programs, such as the Bunny Hutch, July 4th Breakfast, or Santa’s House, call (314) 352-5654 or visit www.afftonoaklandhouse.com.
TOWER TEE GOLF COMPLEX has been a tradition in St. Louis golf for 50 years, and boasts the oldest and busiest golf range in the area. There’s something for everyone and every age: 18 hole par 3 course, year-round driving range, 10,000 square foot putting green, golf lessons, 18 hole mini-golf course, and batting cages. Tower Tee now hosts the annual Gateway PGA Tower Tee invitational on its splendid par 3 course in June. For more information, call 314.481.5818 or visit www.towertee.com.
FEDERHOFER’S BAKERY HISTORIC SIGN has five colors of neon including birthday candles, is the most elaborate in the southern part of the county. Bill Federhofer established the bakery in 1966. It is located at 9005 Gravois Road. Find out more about their baked goods at www.federhofersbakery.com.
AFFTON ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION is a non-profit organization that maintains fields and an ice rink at 10300 Gravois Road. They offer programs for baseball, softball, T-ball, and ice hockey. For more information, call (314) 843-4207 or visit www.afftonaa.com.
VELVET FREEZE ICE CREAM CONE This giant ice cream cone sculpture, now standing in front of the Affton School District’s Mesnier Elementary School (6930 Weber Road), was originally and advertisement for the Velvet Freeze ice cream store at Gravois and Weber roads. The company was founded in 1934, and this sign was fabricated of fiberglass about 1942. The Affton School District acquired the cone in 1992 with the help of the Affton Chamber of Commerce.
GRANT’S FARM is a wildlife preserve and historical site located on Grant Road in Affton and is owned by Anheuser-Busch, Inc. The Farm is home to hundreds of exotic animals from around the world. The Farm takes its name from our 18th President, Ulysses S. Grant, who in the 1850s farmed a portion of the 281 acres. The land later became the ancestral home of the Busch family. Admission to Grant’s Farm, tram rides, and shows are free. Parking fees are $12 per car & $30 per bus, RV, oversize vehicle. Season parking passes are available. Stroller rental is available. Wheelchair rental is not available. For hours of operation or more information, call (314) 843-1700 or visit www.grantsfarm.com.
GRANT’S TRAIL was once part of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Line. This section was known as the Carondelet or Kirkwood Branch and provided an alternative to crowded downtown rail lines. This portion of rail line was abandoned in 1990. In 1991, Trailnet purchased a section of this corridor under the Rails to Trails Act. This trail section extends from the Orlando Gardens trailhead off Hoffmeister Avenue to Interstate 44 (in Kirkwood) and encompasses 75 acres, is 100 feet wide, and 8 miles long mostly parallel to Gravois Creek. Visit www.bikegrantstrail.com for a map of the trail and list of parking areas.
Interested in Seeing More of St. Louis?